Solent Infant School
Cost-of-living support
Find out what help and support is available to you and your family as the cost-of-living crisis continues to bite.

Get in touch with us to let us know if you’re struggling with your finances

Solent Infant School 02392 371073

Solent Junior School 02392 375459

We know everyone is feeling the pinch this winter and we want to support those families in our school community who are impacted the most. If you’re struggling with your finances, please do get in touch to let us know, as there may be things we can suggest which will help. We want to do everything we can to help you and your child through this difficult winter. If you do not wish to share this information with our office teams, please leave a message with the office staff asking for the Head of School or Executive Headteacher to call back.

Contact your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau or Family Hub

Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB)

You don’t have to be a UK citizen to get support from your local CAB, you just need to be
a resident of the local area. The CAB can help you with:

  • Getting benefits or other financial support organised
  • Accessing support for essential costs (food, bills, rent)

Visit the Citizens Advice's website or contact your local branch to book an appointment. Portsmouth Citizens Advice can be contacted by calling 02394 006600 (between 9am and 4pm) or online by visiting
Contact Us (

Check you’re paying the right amount of tax

Make sure you’re on the right tax code. If you aren’t you might be due a refund. Use the Money Saving Expert’s free tax code calculator to find out.

Claim any benefits you’re entitled to

Use 1 of these benefits calculators to determine whether there are any benefits you could be claiming:

You may be able to get benefits paid early if you’re already feeling the squeeze - this is known as ‘a short-term benefit advance’ - you will need to contact the local Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) office that’s dealing with your claim.

Check you’ve received all the government’s cost of living payments

The government’s cost of living payment is available for those receiving certain benefits or tax credits. You don’t need to apply for these – if you’re eligible the money should go straight into your account.

If you think you’re due a payment, but haven’t received one – report a missing payment to the government here.

Be aware of scams! If you receive any emails, texts or phone calls asking you to fill in an application form or asking for your bank details to receive a cost of living payment, do not talk to them or send a reply. Get more information on cost of living scams on the Money Saving Expert’s website

Find out what help you can get with your energy bills

Take a look at these resources from Simple Energy Advice, the British Gas Energy Trust and the Money Saving Expert website.

Let us know if your child is entitled to free school meals (FSM)

If your child is eligible for free school meals (FSM) you need to get them registered. This will allow them to get a free meal at school, and we’ll get extra funding to support your child’s learning. If you think your child may be eligible please contact the school office.

See what other support you can get from your local authority

Local authorities have lots of different schemes that you might be eligible for, including:

Get free or low-cost food

If you’re worried about not having enough food to feed your family, you’re not alone. There are
a number of places offering support.

  • If you have a child under 4, and meet the eligibility criteria, you may be entitled to healthy start food vouchers
  • Portsmouth Foodbank. Follow this link Portsmouth Foodbank | Helping Local People in Crisis to complete an online form or call 02394 006600 to speak to Citizens Advice Portsmouth who will be able to issue you with a food bank voucher if necessary.
  • Find a different local foodbank with these websites:Bankuet, The Independent Food Aid Network, the Trussell Trust, or your local community fridge
  • Call the free national helpline, Help through Hardship on 0808 2082138 for free to talk confidentially with a trained Citizens Advice adviser.
  • Use food waste apps and websites like Olio (for free food and household items from your local community), Too Good To Go (for low cost food from local restaurants), or Low Price Foods (food that has passed its best before date, but is still safe to consume)

Further information



Document created with help from the Key support.